Friday 23 May 2008

Swap requirements

OK, I'm going to keep this fairly simple.

The requirements for the gluten-free swap are:

1) A gluten-free item. This must be a sealed, purchased item from a reputable gluten-free manufacturer. (It doesn't have to be an item made specifically for the gf market, but it must definitely be free from contamination.) Oh, and do check that you're not sending a proscribed item - this gives the rules as to which items can be imported into the UK. If anyone knows of a similar set of rules for their own country I'd be grateful to add it. I know I've sent biscuits (cookies) and teabags to the US before with no problems.

2) A recipe. This is where you can share your favourite home-cooked items. If your recipe requires an ingredient that would be difficult for your recipient to find, perhaps that could be your gluten-free item. (This is where communication comes in - email your recipient to find out!)

3) Enough yarn for a small project - yarn is gluten-free, wheat-free, lactose-free, nut-free - YAY!

4) Any other fun bits and pieces you think your recipient would like.

The subject of Codex wheat has already been raised on the Ravelry board
. My personal view is that it is safer to avoid this, some C(o)eliacs to react to it. (For those of you who don't know what I'm on about, this link explains it.) Please be sensitive to your recipient's wishes.

As with many such swaps I'm going to set a minimum spending limit - of $30 USD (£15) excluding postage. If anyone wants to spend more than that, that's fine, but if that is beyond your budget at the moment, then I'm afraid this swap is not for you. (Similarly, if you overspend wildly, but receive a package which meets the bare minimum, please don't be upset about it - $30 may be as much as someone can afford. Also, bear in mind that gluten-free products may vary widely in cost in different countries.)

I'll open sign-ups after the weekend.

Yay - this is exciting!

1 comment:

bjwalsh said...

Hi Anne, I was thinking; maybe we should exchange "real" email. I was going to put together a database in a google doc and share access with you.
bjwalshsyr.edu AT gmail.com